Lghts Flickering on all lights and sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gs1963
Labourer
Labourer

Lghts Flickering on all lights and sockets

Post by gs1963 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:45 am

Hi,
We moved in to our 4 year old house eight months ago. Its only been during the winter months that we eally picked up on the fact that all our lights, ceiling, as well as lights plugged into sockets on both floors, flicker on a regular basis.
The symptoms are similar to a kettle for example, being switched on and the lights dim for a second.......however it is all the time!!??
We have not seen an increase nor decrease in occurrence over this period. Nor do we suffer from regular bulbs or fuses blowing.
Recently though, we have picked up on noticing that there is a similar 'flash' or 'surge of interference' (split second) going across the centre of whichever TV we are watching. This occurs not in sync to the lights flckering. It is barely noticeable but I'm assuming it has something to do with it?
Any pointers before I get a qualified tech in would be appreciated, and should I just get him to carry out a full test as opposed to a blankcheque job?

Cheers
Graeme

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:46 pm

gs1963,
Your problem may not even be in your property, it could be a faulty connection in the suppliers cabling to your house. Have a look around your consumer unit and meters and see if there is any obvious signs of arcing.(blackened/burnt cable insulation).
If you are supplied by overhead cables go up and down the supply cables from your house and see if any trees are causing the cables to touch.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:51 pm