Lifting height in attic eves for flooring
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dubbledex
Labourer
Labourer

Lifting height in attic eves for flooring

by Dubbledex » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 pm

My attic is already converted and the eaves are partially floored for storage but not at the end of the house. I want to floor this. My question is the current attic flooring is 70mm above the joists that don't have flooring. I thought I could use 50x50timber to cross joists at 90degrees and then the flooring is about 20mm and can sit on this. How am I best to fix the 50x50 to the existing joists? I thought truss clips, but I think these will be too deep (more than 50mm in height).
Maybe L brackets? Or some sort of 90Degree twist plate? Any advice gratefully received!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lifting height in attic eves for flooring

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi dubbledex
Leaving aside as to whether there will be sufficient structural strength with your proposal. the easiest way would be to screw down through every cross point with at least 6x100mm woodscrews
Regards S

Dubbledex
Labourer
Labourer

by Dubbledex » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi Stoneyboy,
Thanks for the reply.
Do you think there will be a structural issue? It's an upper villa with attic conversation.
Most of the eves is floored except this one end, maybe 1.2m (w) X 5m (l) (roughly) eves extend probably total width of 1.5m
I bought 38x 64 CLS. Was going to put it cross the existing beams then lay 18mm chipboard.
I have attached a couple of photos. One of a shot of the end of the eves that are not floored. The other, a very rough layout of the attic conversion layout.
Thanks
attic 5.JPG

attic 5.JPG
Attachments
attic 4.png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi dubbledex
Sorry but it’s just not possible to say whether or not there will be a structural issue. Your pictures/drawings do not show how deep the existing joists are, or the span, or whether there are any structural walls supporting them. You should consider what loading will be put on this floor area. It is peculiar that the whole attic was not floored throughout - perhaps there’s a reason why the last 1.2m was left.
Regards S

Dubbledex
Labourer
Labourer

by Dubbledex » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:43 pm

No worries,
Once I got further in I can see there are beams onto the outer wall. I also put blocks onto the "new" joists to hold the end of the new crossbeams. I am not expecting to put too much weight on it, the usual attic stuff (junk!) I floored about half the area, after this there are a lot of pipes that are going to be a pain to get around without moving.
Thanks for getting back :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:32 pm