light fitting with no earth
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kethon
Labourer
Labourer

light fitting with no earth

by kethon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:13 pm

I have just bought a nice new light fitting for a bathroom (it is the appropriate bathroom "zone") . however on inspection, I notice it only has two terminals (does not have an earth terminal). This is presumable made for fittings to work of a junction box with only the switch (live) and neutral going to the fitting.

However, my old rose uses the loop in system with 3 terminals and an earth. How can I safely wire up the new fitting - where and how can I wire up the loop live and switch, and also the earth. If I have to install a junction box, then presumably this would come under Part P certification requirements?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi kethon,
A lot of light fittings are now what they call double insulated (it should state this on the installation instruction that came with the light) this means a earth connection to the light is not needed.
So connect all the earths in a connection block so every thing else is still earthed on the circuit.
Connect the lives together in a connection block
Connect the incoming and out going neutrals together in connection block
connect the neutral switch wire to neutral on light fitting and Live switch wire to live on light fitting
Good Luck
Kb

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:30 pm