light ring main not working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sking1
Labourer
Labourer

light ring main not working

by sking1 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:42 am

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help. We're just fitting some new lights to celling roses, and must mixed some wires over when we fixed the new one on as when we put the power back it worked fine until I switched the switch and it blew the 5Amp fuse in the fuse box.

Changed the fuse and powered again. Same thing blew the fuse, so learnt my lesson and removed the new light and seperated all the wires.

Now, when I power back on, no fuses go but we have no live anywhere on the light ring main, anywhere in the flat. Should there be power still running though or do i have to get the ring main sorted before we'll detect power anywhere?

Any help or ideas massively appreciated

Stephen

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi, Steven, my wife says do you write thrillers????
sorry,
first lights are not wired on a ring!!!they are a radial circuit going from fuse to first light then on to next ect. so by opening loop you will lose all after!
you clearly put all reds together and all blks together, right?
Wrong!
If you look on Doc's excellent 'project- changing a ceiling light'it shows how it goes.
Basically of your three pairs of wires [plus earths] one is L+N in, one is L+N on to next light, last one is L to sw. & sw-line back to light.
The sw-Line is a blk which should be marked with sleeving or red tape as it is Not a Neutral..
To sort out which is which needs CAREFULL diagnostics,
if you feel confident to try then follow this exactly!
With power to circuit OFF put three reds together in centre terms marked Loop or if using 'fancy fitting' in spare term block.
disconnect sw. & put wires into 2 seperate term, blocks.
Take a spare term. block to light and put 2 blacks in it, put 3rd one into another block.
turn on circuit, if lucky all other lights will work, if not, turn power off and try different pair of blacks until other lights do work.
When you achieve this landmark point MARK the ODD black thats on its own. This is the sw-line which goes into the live term of your light[with brown of flex].
the other 2 blks go to Neutral of fitting [with a Blue of flex].
the 3 reds only loop through & don't connect to fitting flex.
put sw. back Com, L1. Bingo!
Or if unsure 'Call a Leckie' we are used to this most common of all cock-ups & don't charge that much to put it right!
regards SPARX

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:58 pm

I'd be suprised if you had a lighting ring main. Probably a radial circuit. Sounds like you put your switch wire (often colured black, should be but very often isn't sleaved red) in with the neutrals which are black. At least one cable coming in should be live. Are you sure your replacement fuse is any good?

sking1
Labourer
Labourer

by sking1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:34 am

Sparx and Kuzz,

Thank you both for your replies. Really appreciate it. especially when I start trying to sound like I know what I'm doing but using the wrong vocabulary!!

I will try your suggestions at home tonight, and if not bite the bullet and get a pro to come and sort my DIY mess up

Cheers

Stephen

PS I don't write the books unfortunately!!

sking1
Labourer
Labourer

by sking1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 am

Gents, thanks for your help.

I've tried and am still not getting any power in anything. Wondering if it's the fuse in the end. I changed the fuse (it's an old fashioned fuse wire job) and also double checked it with another 5 amp fuse in the fuse box.

Is it possible that we've damaged something else in the electrics

Cheers

Stephen

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi agn. Steven,
you may have knack.....damaged the sw. but other lights should still work, seems like you may have to get some help, shouldn't take a 'pro' with test gear long to suss. out, it's really frustrating sometimes not being able to get 'hands-on'
BW,
SPARX

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:55 pm