DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Lighting for new extension and existing kitchen

Postby themarra » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:59 pm


I am building an extension to my kitchen. My electrician has changed my consumer unit to a 100% RCD so thats up to spec. I want to install low energy GU10 fittings for my main kitchen lights.... do I need them to be special fire rated fittings or is it better putting standard fittings in then a fire shroud over them? Do I need any fire protection at all ?

Any help on the regs would be greatfully received.

Cheers Iain
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 pm


Simply Build It

Postby gooner12 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:23 am

You can do either, but I would advise to pay the little extra and buy the fire rated downlighters. Easier to fit and better peace of mind
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Postby ericmark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 am

Fire rated is nothing to do with heat from the lamp. It is to do with the time it will take a fire in that room to affect the room above. So it's not an electrical thing it's all to do with building design.

LED GU10 lamps tend to have a narrow beam compared with tungsten so need to reflect the light off some white surface. This means they need to be moveable so you can aim them at white surface. As a result pods work better then sunk into ceiling and clearly with a pod there is no fire rating problem.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2658
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics