lighting spur from ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cky
Labourer
Labourer

lighting spur from ceiling rose

by cky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi,

The flat my brother recently moved into has 3 wall lights which he wants to remove and book floating shelves. It looks like it is running from a spur from the ceiling rose.

I'm however confused with the wiring:

- The neutral from the light pendant is connected to the switch terminal. And the live is connected to the neutral terminal.
- Looking at the 2 gang dimmer light switch for the pendant connection, the wires are indeed swapped around. So i guess this is why it works.

BUT, why

- On the switch there is there a wire going from the live of one gang to the neutral of the other.
- And on the ceiling rose, there is one terminal connection that has a live and neutral wire connected to it (from different cables - not sure which).

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Be very careful black/blue wires are often Line on lighting circuits as red / black or Brown / blue wire is cheaper than red / red or Brown / Brown wire and it is easier to work out which wire is which. There should be red or brown sleeves or tape on the black switch wires but these often fall off.
Also permitted zones require the route to be marked by having a switch, socket, or lamp holder etc visible. A blanking plate is accepted but unless wires are removed completely you must leave something to show where they are.
Note:- Neutral is considered as Live so we use Line to mean Phase wire on single phase systems.
See also the projects section for colour diagrams I think in old red and black colours.
All best Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:39 am