Lights either on or off after fitting new fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lights either on or off after fitting new fitting

by suedeblue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd be grateful; for some help.
I changed a single lgith in study for a 4 spot bar light and wired the cables exactly as they had been when i took off the original ight.
There are three cables in the ceiling (old colours) and they were wired all live in one terminal block, all earth in another, two neutrals in another and a single neutral on its own in the fourth terminal block.
The cable also feed the lounge lights where there is two way lighting.
My problem is that now the study light will either not work, stay on or fuse if i turn turn the switch or the lounge lights work, but not the study.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi you have mixed up the blacks!
the one that was on its own is the switch line coming back from switch (not a neutral) and should have been marked with red tape/sleeving.
The 3 reds connected together do not connect to any part of your fitting, they are looped lives, one in from previous light, one on to next light and one to switch,
two blacks are Neutral in and out and to the lights blue flex.
last black/red goes to lights brown flex.
You need to identify which black comes from the study switch, mark it as red and put the other 2 blacks together.
How you find the correct black will depend upon your test equipment and user knowledge, which I don't know,
Best way is with power off, disconnect all 3 blacks at light and check for continuity to black at switch when disconnected from switch,
take care,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 am