Limitation, suggestions advice for a newbie wishing to improve extend rental property pls
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AndyPoco
Labourer
Labourer

Limitation, suggestions advice for a newbie wishing to improve extend rental property pls

by AndyPoco » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Hello there,

First post, grateful for some point of idea what I can, can't do to increase floor plan size of upper and lower ground floor rear rooms pls.

I have researched relevant documents online and understand I should be permitted to do a two story extension (a wooden frame, RSJ to open up).

The upper ground floor room is a s/c bedsit, one of two on the UGF. They share a shower/WC in another part of the property. I would like to make the rear bedsit fully s/c by building out. At present the two windows are the outlets into the proposed space.

The LGF unit is a fully s/c flat I'd like to live in myself but rejig into a larger kitchen/living room. The door and window the existing entry points into proposed extra space.

Points to note:-

• if the 1st floor could gain a bistro terrace atop the build would be bonus access for fresh air for the flat.
•there is a manhole cover approx 1mtr from the back door. It appears to flush in direction underneath the property.
•there is an unconnected rainwater collection tank centrally located approx 1.8mtr from rear of building under the patio.

I'd like to roughly what the scope of opening up the Upper and Lower walls is for space and light consideration. Can RSJ's support fully opening up the levels or would one support the lower to full opening? The Upper ground floor bedsit windows be replaced with 2 arches keeping a central support column. I appreciate the lower ground would also probably require a central support column.

Thanks in advance. Very much appreciated.

Andy
Attachments
IMG_20180517_161409894_HDR_resize_49.jpg
DSC_0180_resize_59.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Limitation, suggestions advice for a newbie wishing to improve extend rental property pls

by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi andypoco
It look like you could extend rearwards but be aware of the 45 degree daylight angle from your neighbours windows.
You may also find that since the property is divided into multiple flats domestic property planning may not be applicable and commercial rules may apply.
Regards

AndyPoco
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Limitation, suggestions advice for a newbie wishing to improve extend rental property pls

by AndyPoco » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up regarding domestic commercial.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm