Live Versus Neutral for Kitchen Pendant Light Fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dollypeg
Labourer
Labourer

Live Versus Neutral for Kitchen Pendant Light Fitting

Post by dollypeg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 am

I have recently bought a pendant light fitting for my kitchen. Due to the previous bulb not just being redundant but actually blowing and the base remained in the pendant unable to remove. Hence the new one, however the new one has transparent wiring. No blue for neutral or brown for live. I have contacted the seller in china who has apologised but would like a photo of transparent connections.???
Does or would anyone know if the two transparent wires can be used as it would be 50/50 which is the live wire, is there a connection piece I can buy or do I need to buy a new pendant fitting.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Live Versus Neutral for Kitchen Pendant Light Fitting

Post by ericmark » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:26 pm

If the lamp holder is a BA22d then it does not matter which is line and which is neutral, however with screw in lamps E14 (SES) E27 (ES) then the centre contact should be line and the screw thread neutral as with some bulbs you can touch the thread while screwing it in.

Ceiling roses are the odd one out, any thing else you must need a tool to access live parts, but you can remove the cover of a ceiling rose without a tool.

It also seems bulbs are also odd one out, if there is no earth every other item needs a sticker to say double insulated, clearly with a screw bulb there are only two connections so it must be double insulated, and with tungsten the bulb would be too hot to handle while live, but a BA22d LED light bulb is cold and has three connections so the shell could be earthed, however I have never seen a bulb marked as double insulated with the square inside a square marking.

dollypeg
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Live Versus Neutral for Kitchen Pendant Light Fitting

Post by dollypeg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 am

Thank you for responding. You have been helpful.
I visited the local hardware shop to see if they had a fancy pendant fitting, which they hadn't. But explained the situation to the chap at the desk. He basically stated it didn't matter due to the amount of wattage from the ceiling light, any could go in any as long as they were opposite my live and neutral, so I came home and fitted the pendant. Closed my eyes and switched the electric back on.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:40 am