Loft Boarded but Unsure if Strengthened Enough to use
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smokehut
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Boarded but Unsure if Strengthened Enough to use

by smokehut » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm looking at a property to buy, it'll be my first home. I have a family, so we're prioritizing a house with at least 3 rooms + a spare room for an office, as I have my own business and require the space.

However, the house we're looking at has a 'boarded' loft, and decorated. I'm unsure as to whether it has been strengthened at all. I'd provide a picture, but nothing depicts any floor strengthening.

My query is whether it's worth going for, as the access + boarding has been complete, if only the strengthening is to be done, is it cost effective to take this route?

What exactly would be required when you're talking 2-4 hours per day containing 2 pretty lightweight desks with 2 computers, chair + me.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Loft Boarded but Unsure if Strengthened Enough to use

by lets have a look » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:10 pm

that will be okay, some attics have water tanks containing 50 gallons of water,now thats a lot of weight

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Sorry but you cannot just put desks in a loft and work. This is then called living space and needs building regulation approval. There are hideous fire risks as well as access risks involved here as getting out of a loft in a hurry is not good.

A stair must be provided which takes you safely to outside air without passing through another room. Sorry but thats the law. Please see our project page on loft conversions

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

by michaelbailey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 pm

You're looking at current usagae, what about the future, will your children be using it? It's not just about weight, how would you or anybody get out in an emergency, that's why loft conversions need to be approved by building control

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

by michaelbailey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:55 pm

iwhat, about future use will your children be using it a loft conversion has to be approved by the 'lbco' . It's not just about weight, how will anybody get out in an emergency will you take full responsibility for major accidents like a fire

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:56 pm