Loft Conversion including 8m dormer for 2 bedrooms and stairway - advice needed
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

NickDiyer
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion including 8m dormer for 2 bedrooms and stairway - advice needed

by NickDiyer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi,

Im looking into making use of our loft space and doing it myself to save cost, but i dont want to do things the wrong way, However i dont know where to start

Plan is to install a larger dormer spanning just under 8.0 metres for 2 bedrooms and stairway

I will try explain as best i can,

My joists for the floor are only 4x2 spaced of 400mm and will not carry the loads

My head room from top of joists to underside of Ridge beam is 2.2m, Ridge beam is 6 x 1.5 Inches

The outer walls are 5.9 metres, however thinking of using the internal bearing walls to support the new beams, distance from outer wall to bearing wall is 3.6 Metres,

Front and back of roof is supports by 2 purling's measuring 6x2 spanning just of 8 metres.with 2 a-frames

1. would 7 x 2 joists length of 3 x 6 metres placed on plates above the brick walls be suffice for the floor?

2. Because of the height of floor to ridge, was thinking would it be better to change the current beam and put in a 7 x 2 timber beam instead, or take out and replace with a steal beam?. The plan is to attach the dormer to the side of the ridge beam.

Any advice on this would be grateful

It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:29 pm