Loft rafter lining when tidying loft for storage?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MisterChristopher
Labourer
Labourer

Loft rafter lining when tidying loft for storage?

by MisterChristopher » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 am

Ladies and Gents, need some advice and confirmation please. We are tidying out our loft for better storage, 'not converting to a living space' just for storage. For esthetics we want to line the rafters. We have 3"x2" rafters and I have used a 35mm roofing lath to line out each void so that the tile felt doesn't contact the 25mm insulation boards I'm installing. So there is a clear 50mm ventilation void in all rafter runs from eaves to ridge. Again as the loft is only being used for storage I don't want to run the expense of plaster boarding and wanted to use 300mm hollow soffit boards. I can't find anything online to suggest you can/or shouldn't use soffit boards for lining the rafters. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated? Cheers,

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft rafter lining when tidying loft for storage?

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi misterchristopher
If you are going to maintain cross ventilation there should not be problems. However if you are going to effectively seal the loft the question is where is condensation going to end up forming.
Regards S

MisterChristopher
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Loft rafter lining when tidying loft for storage?

by MisterChristopher » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Good afternoon stoneyboy, and thanks for taking the time to reply; much appreciated! Yes, cross ventilation will be maintained, plus we have a window in the loft on the open gable wall. I will also install simple lap vents on both sides of the roof so hopefully condensation will be at an absolute minimum. Should condensation occur, as its almost impossible to eradicate it completely, I would hope that the 50mm vent gap in each rafter void would remove it, or it would naturally run off and out down the sarking. Or would I be wrong? Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:46 am