Looking to secure a metal pipe to wood base.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

kellyllek
Labourer
Labourer

Looking to secure a metal pipe to wood base.

by kellyllek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi All, I joined the forum as I'm playing with various projects. I apologize that is is not directly plumbing related but I think someone here may have a solution.

I'm trying to build my own version of a this balance trainer, and I'm looking for some affordable tubing and a secure way to mount it to a wood base.

https://youtu.be/z5aOKyP5izc

The standard steerer tube on a bike is 1 1/8" inch (28.6mm). And I have a handlebar and stem that is sized as such. I tried a 1 1/8" broom handle and mounting bracket for the broom that was made of plastic, but it's just too flexy. It needs to mount to the wood pretty securely. It can have some minimal flex, but really I need to lock it together as one piece, and the cheap broom handle just won't cut it.

I think perhaps just a flange of some kind, like how you hang a closet rail? I'm not sure what pipe I can use that not too expensive? In the US they do galvanized pipe that you can screw into various pieces for gas plumbing. It would be heavy though and I'm not sure of the sizes.

It looks the board in the video uses tube that is larger than 1 1/8". Somehow they step it down to the handlebar stem. It doesn't' matter really what size pipe as long as it's sturdy, and even if where I mount is is 1" I can shim it to work.

I imagine like a pipe that could screw into a flange, like this conduit one on Amazon with matching pipe:

I assume though if something like this would work it'd have to be larger diameter?

I don't necessarily need the bend in the pipe. Would any of you have ideas? Tks.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 pm