Loud bangs from gas boiler casing.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jjjjnr
Labourer
Labourer

Loud bangs from gas boiler casing.

Post by jjjjnr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am

Was getting very loud and frightening bangs from boiler after well warmed up but this stops completely after removing the metal casing but recommences when casing is reinstalled - any ideas?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:57 pm

"Any ideas?"

Yes - the only possible idea. Turn it off and do not turn it on again until you have got an RGI in to inspect it pronto!

It could be just air in the boiler and even if it is just that you could damage the boiler irrepairably if you let it go on. It could easily be something else but whatever it is you can't afford to take the risk.

Pick the phone ap and get dialling!

Cheers

jjjjnr
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jjjjnr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks for replying but I think you missed the point. With the external metal casing removed, as it has been now for many days, the banging stops and boiler performs faultlessly, it only bangs when casing is refitted, therefore the problem (illogically?) is with the casing! An engineer was called in before I found out the problem was with the casing but all I got from him was that he did not think it dangerous!
Merry Christmas anyway.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:52 am

"Thanks for replying but I think you missed the point. With the external metal casing removed, as it has been now for many days, the banging stops and boiler performs faultlessly, it only bangs when casing is refitted, therefore the problem (illogically?) is with the casing! An engineer was called in before I found out the problem was with the casing but all I got from him was that he did not think it dangerous!"

No I have not missed the point at all. Something is making the casing bang. Is it explosive ignition? I don't know. Is it vibration caused by something else happening within the boiler? I don't know.

You are describing an effect not a cause and in normal circumstances you treat the problem not the symptom. You asked for advice and based on your input I gave mine. Its up to you to decide whether or not to heed it.

If you already had an opinion from an engineer on site I'm not sure how positing it again on an internet forum where we can't actualy see or hear it is going to make any difference. Never mind.

"Merry Christmas anyway"

and to you.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1