Lounge Lights and What to do With Black Wires?

Postby Susiesuse » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi. Just bought a light for the lounge. Normally these things are ok but I just wanted to double check. I have 1 blue, 1 earth and 3 black wires coming from the ceiling. One of the blacks has a red collar so this is the live switch presumably. My question is what do I do with the other 2 black wires? The old light had them wired into the neutral. The new light has brown, blue and earth so that’s simple but then provides an extra circuit block with 2 spaces for the loop. Do I wire the black wires into this block effectively connecting them? Electrician on holiday currently. I have wired them and they work. Not tripped. New fuse box. But assume not tripping and working not always equals correct. Thanks in advance.
Susiesuse
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm

A picture would really help. Blue wire from the ceiling?
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
52.7%

Postby collectors » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am

Is there any chance there are two switches & two lights in the same area ?
Photo would help.
collectors
Progress to next rank:
60.7%

Postby Susiesuse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hi. Yes blue coming from ceiling. Here is the old wiring and yes there are other lights. 2 main ones with separate switches and 2 wall lights that run off the same switch but now one of the wall lights isn’t working. They are just blue, brown, earth.
Attachments
BE2405B3-F8B1-4DBE-BBA9-9712B676458B.jpeg
Susiesuse
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!