Low Pitch Roof Choice of Materials
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Low Pitch Roof Choice of Materials

by m7ohn » Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 pm

I am planning to recover an old roof previously covered in corrugated zinc sheets.

The roof pitch is 10 degrees and understand i'm looking at asphalt, rubber or fibreglass solutions.

I fancy a more traditional roof covering like tiles but what sort of tile can i use down to 10 degrees pitch? Cedar Shingles are nice too but do they go down to 10 degrees?

Thanks

Marcus

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 am

We are sorry the previous post was misread and therefore incorrect and slates or marley moderns togethjer with most Redland tiles should be laid at a minimum of 20%. Its possible to get down to 12.5% with some tiles but the headlap has to be increased to its maximum. We do not recommend laying tiles of any kind at 10 degrees.
Last edited by thedoctor on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickb
Labourer
Labourer

by nickb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:38 pm

I have just seen this question and it is close to one that I wanted to ask.

I have a mono-pitch roof on an attached outbuilding with a pitch of 14 degrees. I am just about to re-roof it but have been scared off from using traditional or manufactured slates as these are said to need a pitch of at least 22 degrees.

The shallowest minimum slope quoted has been 17.5 degrees for the Sandtoft BritLock slate.

I am therefore confused by your original reply but also hopeful that, if you are correct, some suitable attractive coverings do exist after all.

Thank you in advance for your help.

nickb
Labourer
Labourer

by nickb » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info! I am also re-covering a single pitch roof with a pitch of only 14 degress. I have been told that slate needs 22 degrees minimum. I have found one `artificial` slate (Sandtoft BritLock) that only needs 17.5 degrees but nothing as low as 14 degrees.

Your original reply seems to suggest slate and other coverings would be ok. Is this really the case?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:48 am

Please see apology above. The post was initially read as if the shingles/slates were beiong laid over a waterproof membrane. Having read the replies it came to light that the tiles were instead of, rather than with, a membrane so our original reply is not valid. Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by thedoctor on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickb
Labourer
Labourer

by nickb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification regarding the pitch requirements.

You mention that there may be a type of tile that can be laid on a pitch as shallow as 12.5 degrees (with headlap conditions). As the pitch on my roof is 14 degrees I am very interested. Would you happen to know which tile may be suitable for this 14 degree pitch as I have had no success so far in my search?

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Nick

I've done some research and have not found any make of tile which will go down to your 14degrees and so my 10 degrees is definately a no goer.

I have found however a steel roof sheeting system which gives a tile effect and it looks very attractive - it's certified down to as low as 10 degrees too!

It's called Kami Sheet roofing .It's from a company called Lafarge Check it out and let me know what you think?

Marcus

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:32 am

Managed to find a more traditional concrete roof tile on the Lafarge Roofing website, part of their Profile Range of roofing tiles, it's called the 'Regent' and it is designed for roof pitches down to 12.5 degrees so good for you Nick. Available in lots of different colours too!

Marcus

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 am