DIY Doctor

Mains Water Pipe and Leak Under Kitchen Floor

Postby Griff.slap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:22 pm

I live in an old cottage, and have developed a leak in my kitchen floor. To get to the pipe means digging up my kitchen and bathroom floor, an easier way would be to re-route the incoming mains from the stop tap at the back of my downstairs bathroom, along the outside of the B/room wall, and in to the internal stop-tap, about 4 metres in total length. My problem is, that I can't tell what size the mains pipe in the garden is, it measures, externally, about 18mm, but could this be an old BSP size ? Also it seems to be covered in some sort of green plastic protective coating, it hasn't been touched since the early 60's, when the B/room was built, surely they didn't have plastic pipes in those days. Any of the "older" plumbers help me out here ? Thanks.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 pm


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics