Maximising Land Value + Greenbelt
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mysterio
Labourer
Labourer

Maximising Land Value + Greenbelt

by Mysterio » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:38 am

Morning all,

Can anybody help me maximise the value of the land that I own please?

Basically, I own over 3 hectares of land in the North East. There is a detached house as part of the land (which can now be demolished if necessary). If the house was demolished it would also provide a bigger access road to the land in question.

The land itself is classed as greenbelt I believe, although I'm not sure what would happen if the current dwelling was demolished (IE would it enable me to submit planning for more dwellings in it's place?)

More importantly - greenbelt or not - I want to maximise the value of the land before selling it, and would appreciate knowing where to start - IE who could tell me 1) What I could build on it and 2) What I should build on it.

I hope somebody can help me as I'm lost and not flush with money either.

Thanks in advance.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Maximising Land Value + Greenbelt

by acsimpson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:29 pm

[quote="Mysterio"]...- IE who could tell me 1) What I could build on it and 2) What I should build on it....[/quote]

1) Your local planning officer should be able to tell you what you can build on it.

2) Depending on the answer to the first hiring an architect and paying him a percentage of your profit may be the best option.

Of course if the land is greenbelt then unless you are a company part owned by the council you may struggle to build.

Beckie65
Labourer
Labourer

greenbelt

by Beckie65 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Do not under any circumstances take your building down as the land is greenbelt, there is a rule in the policy that if you take an existing building down you do not have automatic right to but it back up. i would put your application in and for your new build before you take anything down. this info is through my own experience and i now can not re build a replacement.

Also to your other question you can put storage sheds up and build chicken houses and sheds, you are very limited to what you can and can't do on greenbelt, welcome to the policy its (rubbish).

angelboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by angelboy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm

You should check the Green Belt policies set out in your Local Plan to establish what you may or may not be able to do. This should be available on your councils website but you may have to do some digging to find it. Best bet, give them a call and ask them to point you in the direction of the policy.

After this, work out what you can do and enquire to a Architect (most money), an Architectural Technologist (a bit less money) or an Architectural Designer (the least money) and get them to price up some plans. If you pay up front then you get the full benefit of the uplift in value of he land, if any, but understand that if no permission is granted then you still pay for the drafting.

As with most land deals the value is in the change of use so this carries a cost to obtain so make sure you do your homework.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1