Megga tester
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Megga tester

by greengrass » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am

I am selling a Megga tester for a widowed family friend who's husband was electrician.
MFT 1552 condition appears its un-used, probes also still bagged

its a [b]Question[/b]n of calibration; the certificate is dated 2006 so will it need to be re-calibrated by the buyer or what would it cost so it can be done and sold with current certificate? Knowing nothing what's a fair price to ask?
Many thanks

its a [b]Question[/b]n of calibration; the certificate is dated 2006 so will it need to be re-calibrated by the buyer or what would it cost so it can be done and sold with current certificate? Knowing nothing what's a fair price to ask?
Many thanks

REPLY TO ERICMARK
Thanks Ericmark see what you mean about new cheap rather than secondhand expensive so will take your advice as you know I don't about elecs or the tools.

I looked at the MFT operator manual and the first page floated right over my head and that was the contents page.I don't mess with what I haven't a clue about leave it to chaps like you as it's such a 'shocking' job heh! heh! many would still be alive if they adopted the same attitude.
Greengrass

He bought it but don't know when he was a first class technical electrician worke for a Insurance firm and checking out all company elects before insurance issue and he was good at his job rising in the ranks to cheif electrician he knew the lot so much he was capable of wiring up from the smallest bungalow to the larges factory and you would know you were working/living in a safe environment[b][/b][b][/b]
Last edited by greengrass on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:03 pm

It would depend who bought it. Having a set of know resistances or comparing it against another installation tester in some cases is good enough. And with other the traceable part of the calibration is all important so would only do it all again anyway.

So I would not bother getting is calibrated.

As to far price well new is around £500 and ebay is around £200 but depends where you are going to sell it. Much is luck. If I wanted a new tester I think I would be more inclined to by cheap new than expensive second hand. So I would think £200 would be fair price.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 am

It's a decent bit of kit, to have calibrated could cost between £35-85 depending where you go with it.
My local CEF were doing them for £35 plus VAT, the calibration certificate lasts for 12 months.
I have the MFT 1552 model, I think they came out in 2006, that's when I bought mine it cost me £450 brand new.
Megger have since brought out newer models and just launched a new MFT.
I'd say £200-250 would be a fair price.
The advantages of selling it with calibration certificate would be, that at least you know, as would the buyer that it is in good working order at point of sale.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

MEGA REPLY

by greengrass » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]It's a decent bit of kit, to have calibrated could cost between £35-85 depending where you go with it.
My local CEF were doing them for £35 plus VAT, the calibration certificate lasts for 12 months.
I have the MFT 1552 model, I think they came out in 2006, that's when I bought mine it cost me £450 brand new.
Megger have since brought out newer models and just launched a new MFT.
I'd say £200-250 would be a fair price.
The advantages of selling it with calibration certificate would be, that at least you know, as would the buyer that it is in good working order at point of sale.[/quote]

Nicked your page for a quote; THANKS KBROWNIE
GREENGRASS

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:20 am