Metal finish 2 way double switch minor electric shock
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamesie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jamesie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 am

Hi everyone, I installed a two way metal light switch, But everytime i switch on the power to the lights i get a small shock, not much more than around 6-12v, do you think it could be a defective switch, as all the cables a are correctly fitted (loose wires cause fires!) and there is no break in any of the cable's. thanks.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 am

Years ago it was common not to run earth wires to lighting circuits. Although now earths are always run from time to time one finds one of these old installations the electrical safety council recommend a rewire in such cases but where the customer will not pay for rewire then all Class II fittings (i.e. Plastic) should be used plus notices should be fixed to the consumer unit warning of lack of earth and if they will not agree to this then electricians should refuse to work on the system.
Maybe you have one of these old systems and if so you should remove any metal light switches and replace with plastic.
However all is not lost there are some metal looking plastic covers that can be stuck to switches to make them look metal.
Eric

jamesie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jamesie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am

thanks eric for the reply, My house has earthing to all light switches and sockets, the house was built in 1985, I am wondering if there is an earth problem somewhere?
thank you

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:53 am

We would use an earth loop impedance tester to check this but the meters are expensive so best option is likely to get an electrician to test it.
Eric

jamesie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jamesie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info eric! Best regards Jamesie

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:03 pm