Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Windward bites
Labourer
Labourer

Missing upward soil pipe - what a whiff

by Windward bites » Fri May 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi all

I have property which has had a front bedroom converted into a bathroom. The lower soil pipe feeds straight from the water outlet and the toilet drains into the soil pipe outside the house further down.

My problem is that there is no soil pipe exhausting the air upward so any foul smells vent into the bathroom throught the bath plug hole and overflow and from the toilet and seep to the rest of the house.

Please can any one advise what is the best way to solve the problem of the smell from the drains.

Do I have to put an internal pipe vertical up and through the roof?
Do I have to attach a pipe and then go through the brick wall and run a vertical pipe up the front of the house to vent?
Do I have to look at some kind of saniflo product to stop air flowing back up the pipes?
Do I need any kind of PP or building regs?

Summers coming and this situation is not the best for health.

Much appreciated
WB :(

[/quote]

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat May 05, 2007 8:12 am

Best to get a plumber to look at this situation on site. You musy have at least one SV pipe taking any gas to outside air but visualising your system without one is tricky. It sounds as though everything in your house goes straight to a manhole with no sv pipe at all. If this is the situation one should be inserted befoer the nmanhole so the downstairs loo goes into it before going into teh nmanhole and then the upstairs can branch into it also, but as I siad, please see the help of a plumber on site for your specific situation. If you are altering the drain layout yuou need to get permission as not only does this require an inspection but your drains are marked on the property deed and aletrations must be recorded.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:49 am