Mixer Tap "leak"
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thebalance
Labourer
Labourer

Mixer Tap "leak"

by thebalance » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 am

I have a mixer tap which when set to use the shower allows water to flow out the tap rather than routing the water solely into the shower.

Can you tell me what is wrong please and how it can be repaired - I can see the shower connector has a point for a spanner (bigger than the 17mm largest spanner I already have) but no idea what to do even if I did manage to get it open.

Thanks

zark
Labourer
Labourer

by zark » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:27 am

the mixer tap is a simple 'divert' valve, whether a lever or a plunger type... Do you mean - when the water is diverted to the shower, you still get a small 'leak' out of the tap?

Is it such a big problem??? If you want to take it apart, (turn the water off) and unscrew it, probably with a large adjustable spanner or a water pump plier. (use a bit of cloth against the fitting to protect the finish)...

Take the mechanism out the tap and check/renew the o-rings (assuming it's not a ceramic disc - which shouldn't leak anyway!) to make sure the water can only go where it's supposed to...

At this point, i like to crack open the hot and cold feed valves a touch, just to flush out any debris sitting in the fitting. Put it all back together and test...

Incidentally, after using the shower it can be quite handy if the water is allowed to drain (or leak) out of the taps, to save having water sitting in the shower flex, going smelly...

thebalance
Labourer
Labourer

by thebalance » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Thanks - that's enough to get me started.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm