modifying wiring in home
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrewk
Labourer
Labourer

modifying wiring in home

by andrewk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

I have had some modifications done to my house that has all been approved by council building planners, and certified as such.

I currently am in the process of selling my home and the survey has picked up a few issues with the electrics.

Firstly, my brother in law is an electrician but nor certified, and has put in new down lights in the dining room and kitchen from existing circuits.

As the house needs a complete test rpior to me selling, can the new lights be included in this test and passed (if ok), or will the new work need a sperate cert to comply with part P, as by reading some of the other letters, this is really concerning me know.

All assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi any qualified electrician can carry out a periodic inspection & complete inspection & test certs.
I don't understand 'approved by council bldg planners & certified' no such persons exist to my knowledge!!!!
Who did survey? was it a periodic insp. or an unqualified (electrically) 'drive-by' surveyor?
If your downlights where put in in the last 2 years this was illegal in the kitchen, so you do have a problem there.
As you say house will need complete P.I.Report this will cover entire system, you can't get a retrospective installation cert. for 'Part P' work as only person carrying out the work can issue comp. certs.
As long as any items picked up on insp cert. are dealt with then re insp. all OK ,hope this clarifies some points regards SPARX

andrewk
Labourer
Labourer

by andrewk » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:17 pm

sparx

many thanks for replying: I see going back over papaerwork that the council has signed off the building works, and not the electrics. The new lights have been added to already existing circuits, and a competent electrician is coming to carry the periodic testing.

the kitchen downlights are noe really concerning me, what are my options>>>

regards

Andrew

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:16 am