More Washing Machine Kerfuffle
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dbt60
Labourer
Labourer

More Washing Machine Kerfuffle

by dbt60 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I am plumbing in a washing machine for someone else. They've just moved in and want to put the washing machine 3.5 metres away from the drain and both the inflow and the waste must pass behind the oven. I'm worried that it will be too hot behind the oven to run the existing hoses that come with the washing machine. Do I need to get straight into metal pipes? Any advice, particularly about the waste would be appreciated.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:58 pm

All sorts of things spring to mind here. Will there be enough room for the pipes behind the oven? Usually ovens almost if not actually touch the back wall. If the oven is built in, can the pipes run on the floor behind the plinth and under the oven?

That is a long pipe run. You may find the washer doesn't empty properly.

Ovens are not necessarily very hot. Gas pipes to ovens are often flexible rubber, but it is not a good idea to have the w/m pipes in very close proximity to actual oven surface.

I would worry about the supplies more than the waste. The waste is not under pressure!

dbt60
Labourer
Labourer

by dbt60 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks for that. You've confirmed my feeling that the washer is just going into the wrong place. They are awaiting a new oven so its hard to say what it will be like behind it. I was going to run copper pipe for the inflow to tap ends behind the washer. Its a concrete floor with no plinth under the oven. I don't like the distance the washing machine has to pump the waste back and have already suggested that since they are replacing their countertops, they could make a slight modification and move the washing machine past the oven and closer to the sink.

wimiu012uk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wimiu012uk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:27 pm

My washing machine has a run of at least 6m to the outlet and inlet and i have had NO problems with ither filling or emptying of the machine.

dbt60
Labourer
Labourer

by dbt60 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind for future installations. I have now, in fact, plumbed it in next to the sink which makes more sense of a small kitchen.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 am