Mounting 13KG Heavy Mirror and Gap Between Bricks and Plaster
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Charlotte35
Labourer
Labourer

Mounting 13KG Heavy Mirror and Gap Between Bricks and Plaster

by Charlotte35 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:35 pm

DIY advice needed, please! I bought a heavy mirror (13kg) to hang on a wall that I assumed was brick or cavity (it's the dividing wall between my house and next door). Turns out it is hollow - the plaster is built out a good few inches from the brick/breeze block. I know that you can get wall anchors to go into plasterboard, but the mirror's weight would all be on two strap hangings going into a bit of plaster, which seems like a disaster waiting to happen! If anyone knows of a way that I can make this work before I have to return my lovely new mirror, I'd be very grateful to hear it. Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mounting 13KG Heavy Mirror and Gap Between Bricks and Plaster

by welsh brickie » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 pm

fix a wood batten to the wall, put mirror adhesive sealant on the wall and glue the mirror to the wall. You can then surround the mirror with architrave to finish

Charlotte35
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Mounting 13KG Heavy Mirror and Gap Between Bricks and Plaster

by Charlotte35 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks for replying, Welsh Brickie. I am a DIY dunce - is the idea that I would drill/stick/attach in some way architrave around the mirror to help keep it in place? It's a really thin oak frame (heavy because of depth of it and size of the mirror) so visible architrave around it wouldn't quite look right. If it's a fixable problem I'm happy to pay someone to come and do it, but not sure what trade that would come under and so who I'd contact.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:23 pm