Moving a drain from under a conservatory
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dwalsh87
Labourer
Labourer

Moving a drain from under a conservatory

by dwalsh87 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:51 am

Hi. We’ve been in our house 4 years now and recently had the existing conservatory renovated (new roof/flooring). While taking up the flooring, we found that the previous owners had used laminate to cover the existing parquet flooring. A hatch for the drain access had been left in the parquet but had been covered over with the laminate. We’ve had a couple of instances, usually after particularly heavy rain, of the drain backing up and flooding the conservatory with raw sewage (not nice) and assumed it was coming up through the overflow pipe (see pics). Obviously when we took up the flooring we realised most of it was actually coming back up through the hatch. My question is, can the drain access be moved out into the garden? We’re planning on getting the yard re-done soon and would like to factor it in. Also, as always, any idea on cost? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Drain coming from kitchen into conservatory.
Drain coming from kitchen into conservatory.
View from inside hatch can be seen in bottom right corner
View from inside hatch can be seen in bottom right corner
View from outside, highlighted is approx location of existing access hatch
View from outside, highlighted is approx location of existing access hatch

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Moving a drain from under a conservatory

by stoneyboy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi dwalsh87
You need to have your drain runs established so that a practical plan of action can be made. Moving the access trap to outside your conservatory will probably entail extensive digging up of the floor.
If the pipe under the conservatory is suitable i.e. plastic rather than clay, you could fit a sealed cover and accept it will never be accessed. This may well mean digging a hole locally where the trap is to give access to install new fittings.
Regards S

dwalsh87
Labourer
Labourer

by dwalsh87 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi
Thanks for that, I realised it was probably going to be a bigger job than I initially thought. Don't really fancy taking up the floor so might go with the capping option. Any recommendations for companies?
Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi dwalsh87
Any builder should be able to do this.
If you mean manufacturer you may be limited by availability.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm