My Bad Plastering Job After Removing Wallpaper from Living Room Walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mclemon
Labourer
Labourer

My Bad Plastering Job After Removing Wallpaper from Living Room Walls

by Mclemon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi all,

I recently removed wallpaper from my living room walls and there was a layer of paint that came off in some areas and not others. There was also quite a lot of plaster which came off too. So some areas of the wall had bare plasterboard, some parts had plaster covering the plasterboard and other parts had paint overy both plasterboard and plaster. Hopefully that makes sense.
Anyway, I wanted to paint the room so I thought I'd try and smooth out the different layers with some plaster of my own. Naturally I've messed it up so I'm just wondering if I could get some advice as to what my options are.

I've attached a photo of some of the worst parts. I've tried sanding a little which did make a bit of a difference.

As far as I can tell my options are:
1. Keep sanding everything down so it's level.
2. Try and repair these marks with more plaster (given how bad my first job was, I don't think this is an option).
3. Lining paper over this and paint over the lining paper.
4. Paint several coats of Base coat and paint in the hope that it will fill in the gaps.
5. Sell all of my possessions to pay for a professional to fix it.

I'm generally not too bad a diy stuff (some of you might not believe that but it's true) but this time I just rushed it and didn't quite realise how difficult the job was.

Any help would be much appreciated and please try to keep the laughter and scolding to a minimum!

Also like to add, it looks like there are some really small chunks of metal embedded in the new plaster I put on. I guess these are causing the score marks...is that possible?

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bad-p ... z3nj33GW00
Attachments
20151005_210938.jpg

Ioanaoi1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: My Bad Plastering Job After Removing Wallpaper from Living Room Walls

by Ioanaoi1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi there! i'm sorry to hear about it. You have two alternatives. Yes, either try and level out the entire wall, or use lining paper and fix it with emulsion paint. It's the easiest way, I think. Keep us posted!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm