My cold water system overflow pipe is dripping heavily!!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

My cold water system overflow pipe is dripping heavily!!

by handywoman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Hope someone can be of help.

My cold water overflow is leaking heavily through the outside overflow pipe - can anyone advise me on how to stop the leak??

hooligan69
Apprentice
Apprentice

overflow dripping constantly!

by hooligan69 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:04 am

Your tank in the loft will have a ballcock if you adjust this it will stop the leakeage from the over flow. If the ballcock moves, sometimes the water level will go above the outlet for the overflow so it will constantly leak.

Regards

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:07 am

good morning
sounds like the float valve is not functioning correctly
you can dismantle them and replace the washer,which is the most likely cause or just replace the float valve complete
isolate the water to the tank might be a isolation valve on the supply pipe or turn off water by the internal stop valve (the stop cock to you and i)usually located in the kitchen
undo the nut connecting the pipe work to the float valve,undo the locking nut ,remove take it to the plumbers merchant and replace,refit
bob

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:05 am

check the ball valve and adjust as necessary - may need a new washer if it passing slightly.

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reply to HTeng about leaking overflow

by handywoman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Good Afternoon

Thankyou for your advice, the ball looks fine, however, should it be touching the sided of the tank at all and how to I check other parts of the cysten such as the metal bar the ball is attached to as I dont want to flood the airingt cupboard.

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

back to the leaking cold water tank overflow

by handywoman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 pm

Thank you to each who have offered advice, me being a novice at plumbing, can you tell me if the ballcock should be under or above the water? Also, if I take off the ballcock arm completely, as well as turning off the main cold water supply to go and buy a new cysten ballcock and arm, will I cause the water tank to flood my airing cupboard. I am on a budget and the thought of a call out charge and plumbers costs worry me. If this is something that a novice can do, I am willing to have a go with some detailed directions - I look forward to hearing your advice and directions.

Handywoman (not so handy in the plumbing department at the moment) :roll:

thedoctor

Re: My cold water system overflow pipe is dripping heavily!!

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:46 am

A really old post but one that gets hundreds and hundreds of views daily as well as other similar posts all over our forum. Answers are often on the main pages of the website which can be overlooked as the forum is so large. Take a look at this link and scroll round some of the other plumbing pages to get even more help
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/co ... %20etc.htm

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:35 am