My hot water seems too hot with indirect system
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Inexperienced
Labourer
Labourer

My hot water seems too hot with indirect system

Post by Inexperienced » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:20 pm

My hot water temperature seems too hot. It’s an indirect cylinder. I have ended up lowering my cylinder thermostat to 40, but this still feels like it’s burning - this doesn’t seem normal. Someone has suggested it’s generally hotter given the time of year? My cylinder is approx 1m high, and the thermostat is approx 220mm from the base (so roughly 1/4 up as advised). The immersion heater isn’t turned on. My setup is 2 Myson power extra valves. Any help is appreciated and I have access to a multimeter. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: My hot water seems too hot with indirect system

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi inexperienced
With the system on for hot water try reducing the thermostat temperature - you may be lucky and hear it click. Turn it up and down to check. Once you have determined where it turns on and off check the motorised valve and see if it is working. This should help you isolate the problem.
Regards S

Inexperienced
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Inexperienced » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello Stoneyboy,

Many thanks for replying. So I’ve tried what you suggested, I can hear it click on and off, and there’s a led on the valve - this illuminates on and goes out when off, so I’m guessing both are working as they should? Immersion double checked and off. Hot water still seems too hot.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Hi inexperienced.
Next try turning the thermostat lower to around 25 degrees or even a bit lower. If your water still gets too hot feel the pipes either side of the motorised valve. If both are hot all the time when the HW is on then the valve is sticking partly open.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 am