My light makes a loud bang
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
funnyfish
Labourer
Labourer

My light makes a loud bang

Post by funnyfish » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Hello
I had a pendant light fitting in my kitchen that occasionally made a loud bang sound accompanied with a bright flash of light from the top of the fitting. We changed to a flourescent light fitting and it is just made the same bang sound.
I have no idea what could be causing it.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice.

Thank you

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:35 am

Load bang from fitting?
Explain more:
was this the fuse/mcb breaking, the flashing sounds like a loose connection or damaged insulation on cable that is arching across to another conductive component, this could cause a short circuit and the fuse to blow.
KB

RFLighting
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RFLighting » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Does this bang coincide with the circuit MCB tripping or fuse blowing?

funnyfish
Labourer
Labourer

Post by funnyfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm sorry I don't understand your question - I'm not an electrician.
Your comment reminded me that when our friend recently fitted our kitchen he drilled through a cable but said that the speed of the drill would seal the casing. I'm now wondering if he's damaged the wire and this is causing the problem. The light bangs whether the light is on or off - it doesn't prevent the light from working.
Thank you for your help so far.

[quote="kbrownie"]Load bang from fitting?
Explain more:
was this the fuse/mcb breaking, the flashing sounds like a loose connection or damaged insulation on cable that is arching across to another conductive component, this could cause a short circuit and the fuse to blow.
KB[/quote]

funnyfish
Labourer
Labourer

Post by funnyfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 pm

No, the bang can happen whether the light is on or off and doesn't prevent it from working - please see my other message - and thank you for your help too, much appreciated.
Think I need to get our friend back to fix the cable!
This is a great service

[quote="RFLighting"]Does this bang coincide with the circuit MCB tripping or fuse blowing?[/quote]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 am

i'd find an electrician rather than your friend, I don't think he is clued up, never heard such a thing[quote]that the speed of the drill would seal the casing.
Get it sorted and quick protential fire harzard!
KB[/quote]

funnyfish
Labourer
Labourer

Post by funnyfish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Many thanks I will do that - A valuable lesson learnt.
Thank you

[quote="funnyfish"]No, the bang can happen whether the light is on or off and doesn't prevent it from working - please see my other message - and thank you for your help too, much appreciated.
Think I need to get our friend back to fix the cable!
This is a great service

[quote="RFLighting"]Does this bang coincide with the circuit MCB tripping or fuse blowing?[/quote][/quote]

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 am