My peeling bathroom ceiling
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pinkfairy
Labourer
Labourer

My peeling bathroom ceiling

by pinkfairy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm

[b]hope someone can help :(

My bathroom consists of a shower (large tray same size as old bath) and wash basin. The fan extracts the steam.

Have new plastered ceiling, painted in viynal silk paint, with in 1 year the paint is peeling off in large sections (it did blister first) of the ceiling and have a black mould problem as well.
The room is tiled all wall , floor to ceiling with a tiled floor.

Can anyone please recommend a paint to do the ceiling in, that will stay on!!! :?:

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:31 pm

pinkfairy,
Your ceiling should have been painted with a 50/50 emulsion/water mix first then painted with neat emulsion. Suggest you strip off the existing paint and start again preferably with a breathable emulsion.
end

pinkfairy
Labourer
Labourer

by pinkfairy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:04 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]pinkfairy,
Your ceiling should have been painted with a 50/50 emulsion/water mix first then painted with neat emulsion. Suggest you strip off the existing paint and start again preferably with a breathable emulsion.
end[/quote]

thanks for that Stoneyboy,
but that's the paint that is peeling. Did the 50/50 and then neat . However thats whats peeling.
Is there a special paint I can use??? someone suggested celecine paint (think thats how to spell it !)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:35 pm

pinkfairy,
Since you've done the 50/50 thing and its still peeling suggest you have a look in the loft and see if the insulation is missing or thin in the peeling areas.
You are going to have to cure the peeling (and its cause) before re-painting.
Try one of the kitchen/bathroom paints which are designed not to react to damp.
end

pinkfairy
Labourer
Labourer

by pinkfairy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]pinkfairy,
Since you've done the 50/50 thing and its still peeling suggest you have a look in the loft and see if the insulation is missing or thin in the peeling areas.
You are going to have to cure the peeling (and its cause) before re-painting.
Try one of the kitchen/bathroom paints which are designed not to react to damp.
end[/quote]

thanks for that and you efforts :)

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:19 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:37 pm