Nails.
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rivergirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nails.

by Rivergirl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,
I have just moved into my first house and am new to DIY so would be grateful of any advise that I receive. My problem is that I want to hammer some nails into a wall and have bought some steel one and a half inch ones ( because they were the cheapest and looked quite strong ) but each time I hammer them into the mortar between the bricks they go a little way in then bend under the force of the hammer. Have I got the wrong type of nails? or would I be better off using wall plugs and screws? The objects that I want to hang from the nails are only quite light so I thought plugs and screws would be a bit overkill. Thanks in advance. :?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:46 pm

you need to buy masonry nails. mild steel nails intended for timber will not do it.

alternatively get purpose made picture hooks.

Rivergirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rivergirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

chris_on_tour2002 wrote:you need to buy masonry nails. mild steel nails intended for timber will not do it.

alternatively get purpose made picture hooks.

Thanks for your reply, I have been out and bought some masonry nails and they have done the job perfectly. Thanks once again. :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:41 pm