Need to Raise the Height of Large Wooden Lintel
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ultrasheep
Labourer
Labourer

Need to Raise the Height of Large Wooden Lintel

by Ultrasheep » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:36 pm

First time posting and I'm looking for some advice/guidance please. Our kitchen currently consists of two distinct parts, an original extension to the house built from breeze blocks and a horrible later addition constructed from wood and polycarbonate sheet (see photos). The extension is a single storey and has two separate pitches to its roof. The larger of these pitches is supported by a large wooden beam which itself is supported by two metal S-brackets inserted into breeze block columns. Our intention is to tear down the wood/polycarbonate section to create a small courtyard area and have sliding doors below the wooden beam. The wooden beam is currently 2.00m above the kitchen floor. We would like to raise it by around 15cm so that a standard patio door frame can be fitted below it. I understand that I will need to support the roof before even attempting to take out the beam and think that the best method is to use acro props and strong boys. I'd be grateful for any input from people who are more experienced than myself. The beam is approximately 2.5m long, 7cm thick and 20cm wide.The beam that can be seen on the photos above the windows (i.e. directly below the edge of the roof is of similar proportions. Hope that this makes sense! Thanks.
Attachments
Outside view.jpg
Top and bottom beams.jpg
Right end of beam.jpg
Left end of beam.jpg

slo101
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Need to Raise the Height of Large Wooden Lintel

by slo101 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Looking at the picture, the timber construction looks more like a window frame than a supporting beam.

I would really hope there is a suitable steel or concrete beam above, built into the concrete block work, and the roof is not just resting on those timbers. If there is another beam the frame could be simply removed and cut down to suit the new doors.

HOWEVER, I would always suggest having a professional come and give you some advice before altering any structural supportS in your home.

Hope this is helpful

rmoore853
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Need to Raise the Height of Large Wooden Lintel

by rmoore853 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 am

Based on the pictures, I think it's more of a frame than a support. It's better to eliminate this and have a beam to support the roof.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 am