Neon indicator for loft lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davidf
Labourer
Labourer

Neon indicator for loft lights

Post by davidf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:48 pm

I am trying to wire in a replacement switch that has a neon indicator built in (a fused 13A switch). This is so I can tell if the lights have been left on in the loft - the light switch is outside the loft. The existing switch is a one way one. Any ideas?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi davidf,
IF you already way a standard switch installed and it's a straight swap not too difficult, the one thing is that is a light circuit so 13amp fuse rating is not recommened. I assume that the switch being replaced is part of a exsisting light circuit, if the loft lighting does not exceed 6 luminares (lamps/bulbs) i'd use a 3amp fuse.
you'll have a supply and load so your line/live/phase (red/brown cable) will be supply side and load will be black/blue cable.
Remember to be safe, isolate circuits prior to any work and assure the circuit is dead before you carry out any work.
Kind Regards
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 pm

The only way I can think of is with a fused connection unit with a neon but hat will involve some new wiring because you'll need neutrals, unless someone knows different.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:31 pm