New boiler, loft insulation & cold water tank
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
craigybaby
Labourer
Labourer

New boiler, loft insulation & cold water tank

by craigybaby » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi folks,
new to this site, its a cracker!
I live in a 1930s 3 bed semi in Leeds, just had a new condensing combi Baxi boiler fitted. The hot water cylinder was removed from the bathroom, but the cold water tank and header tank are still in the loft. First question, are they both redundant now, so can be removed?
I'm fitting loft insulation this week and the instructions I've read say don't insulate under the cold water tank as it can freeze. Question Two, is that advice now irrelevant considering my first point above?

Many thanks for your help guys.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 am

Both the tanks are redundant and the guy was obviously too lazy to remove them.

Dispose of and fully insulate loft.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:09 am

Hi,

Yes, check the 2 tanks in the loft - should be empty = take 'em out - sorted.

craigybaby
Labourer
Labourer

by craigybaby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 am

Brilliant, thanks guys, will I be able to do it myself (not afraid of getting stuck in) or will there be "capping off" of any pipes to do that'll need a plumber?
Once again, many thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:37 pm

As steve the gas says. Be careful as the water will be thick, brown/black gunge. If you get it on the carpets the missus wont be happy.

The two tanks in the loft will be plastic - worthless. They wouldn't dream of leaving the cylinder in place ££ scrap.

htg

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:33 pm

]I would agree with the previous posts in that the header tank and cylinder are now redundant. However be carefull with the storage tank as will not be the first one to left in to supply cold water to the bathroom/toilet. If it is empty then it would save to say that all cold water in the house is now feed directly from the mains. Yes there will be capping off required.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:43 am

No capping off. They will not be connected or fixed to anything (except the overflows).

craigybaby
Labourer
Labourer

by craigybaby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 pm

cheers guys, I just went for it as they were both empty!! Hacked through the three copper pipes connected to the big plastic tank and the two pipes connected to the smaller tank. I was confident it would be ok cos in the bathroom airing cupboard were 4 sawn off pipes leading from the loft, so I guessed my boiler installer had just sawn through them so he could get the hot water tank out and scrap it. There are also two other pipes coming from the ground floor up into the bathroom that look like they've been connected with a short piece of piping.
The CH and taps are all working, so I guess what I did must have been Ok !!

Once again, thanks for your advice

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1