New boiler or keep existing one?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sec79
Apprentice
Apprentice

New boiler or keep existing one?

by sec79 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi

My wall mounted gas boiler (an Ideal classic) is 15 years old and located in the corner of the kitchen side on. If you want to look at the controls you need to peer sideways.

I'm in the process of designing a new kitchen and the location of the boiler is causing me great problems. I don't want it to be visible when the new kitchen goes in.

Q1 - Is a distance of 28cm between the edge of the existing cupboard and the boiler enough of a gap for some-one to be able to service the boiler?

Q2 - As it is 15 years old I wondered whether it needs replacing? I don't know how long they are supposed to last.

Q3 - If the boiler does need replacing, is it possible to get one which when fitted the controls would be visible from the front, would fit in a kitchen cupboard (special box) and NOT a combi boiler. How much would I be looking to spend for one to be installed. I do know some-one who works for British Gas, so would hopefully give me a bit of a reduction.

I hope this make sense. The property is a 2 bed townhouse.

Grateful for any replies

humperdink
Tradesman
Tradesman

by humperdink » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:04 pm

only because you are changing your kitcen would i definately change it. Hard to picture your scenario, but whoever you get to change it will get the correct boiler to fit the space

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 am

I'm surprised the Ideal has lasted that long, but I think the classic is one of their better ones.
If you can afford it while the kitchen is a mess - then yes get a new one, yes some will fit in cupboards, and yes 28 cm is enough as long as its all accessable.

Hth

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:33 pm

When your boiler was fitted, the fitter took into account the fitting instructions in the installation booklet, and the requirements of law. It has worked, it is working OK and obviously various people have serviced it over the past 15 years.
To buy and have fitted a new boiler will cost a lot.
The boiler is not old and may have another 15 years of life in it and spares are available.
I would suggest that boxing in the existing boiler and designing your new kitchen round it will save you a lot of money.
By the time your boiler needs to be replaced the world will have changed, prices and supplies will be different and no doubt boilers will be far more efficient.
By the way, from 2016 all new homes on single or small developments will have to have electric radiant heating, larger developments will have pellet burning communal heating, where one large boiler will supply several homes.
Gas heating with open boilers will gradually become obsolete.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1