New Central heating System-PLEASE!!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
annegibbons1
Labourer
Labourer

New Central heating System-PLEASE!!

by annegibbons1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Dear Central Heating Engineers
Could u please advice .IS IT POSSIBLE to install your own Gas Central Heating system , at present and have a Corgi Engineer inspect it or what ever.My daughter is looking at a house having lost £900 when an unscrupilous builder tried to con her into a house with unknown leaseholder-she lost all the money.Please could anyone HELP!!!:?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 am

Not and be legal. Sorry. Of course you can do things yourself but you will have no insurance and if you get caught then you will be in real trouble. Some electricians and I would expect plumbers are no different are really lazy and if they can get someone to do laboring part of the job for them will give discount but the job is controlled by them not you.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:30 am

No, you have to have it installed by a CORGI registered installer. The installation paperwork has to be signed and a CORGI registration number attached for the boiler warranty. DIY gas work is illegal.

No-one will sign to say they have fitted a boiler that they haven't as you dont know what corners have been cut, and if anything does go wrong it's the CORGI registered installer that'll be liable.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:12 am

Yes it is possible to install your own Central Heating system, however you should get a Corgi registered engineer to run the gas pipe to the boiler and commission the bolier.
I have done this myself, and can vouch for the fact that it is not easy. You will need good plumbing skills, plus an understanding of electrics. The most difficult thing is the design of the system such as, size of radiators, pipe layout, controls, bypass loop, vents etc.
I suggest that you get a heating engineer to design the system for you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1