New consumer unit, how much testing required?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nerd_biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

New consumer unit, how much testing required?

by nerd_biker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Calling all electricians...

I've had a new consumer unit installed as part of work to replace my kitchen. To certify the work the electrician is saying he will have to remove all bulbs and electrical devices from sockets and then go round testing each socket/bulb connector when the system is dead and when a voltage is present.

Does this sound necessary/reasonable? Has anyone had this sort of testing done?

Thanks for any advice,
Anthony

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi,
what he proposes is the minimum required by B.S. 7671, in order to change a consumer unit it is strongly recommended by all trade bodies that a full periodic inspection be carried out before the change to identify any existing faults on the system.
The tests would require as he says, plus checks on main services earth bonding,
I do this work on a daily basis and is widely done to comply with the Law!
To change a consumer unit means he will have to issue a full set of Installation Certificates &, through his membership of one of the authorising bodies, report the work to your Local Council Building Control department.
You then should keep your copy of the certs. & when it arrives by post the card from LABC, in case you ever want to move house, they WILL be required by any purchasers solicitor before completion!
Be thankfull you seem to have a leckie who is legal!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:47 pm