Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

New Grout Crumbling

Post by Did it myself » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Can anyone advise please.
My bathroom was tiled a few weeks back by a professional tiler. The bath surround was boxed and then tiled.

Some small areas of grout are crumbling away on the bath side and I'm wanting to repair these areas. The tiler left me some grout (powder) and am hoping someone can tell me what ratio I should mix with water?

Also, is this type of crumbling to be expected with it being new grout? or is this crumbling happening because of the movement of the bath? Is this likely to be a consistent problem in the future or will it settle?

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Mix with water until it look similar to double cream. Run your finger through the mixture and it should leave a groove. Some should stick to your finger without falling off. For a small area, mixture is not critical.

If the tiled area is flexing this problem will keep re-occurring. If the area is allowed to dry for a week or two without being disturbed, it may crack but not fall out.

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Did it myself » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks plumbbob.. i'll give it a go, but fear its going to be an ongoing problem...

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:59 am