New Laminate Floor Height - How to Fill Gap?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diydonkey123
Labourer
Labourer

New Laminate Floor Height - How to Fill Gap?

by diydonkey123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi all,

I will soon be installing a new laminate floor in the bedroom. The current floor is a hardwood floor which is 2cm thick. The laminate will be 0.8cm thick.

The frame of my built-in wardrobe currently sits on top of the hardwood floor and two planks join midway underneath the wardrobe frame.

Obviously, if I replace the hardwood floor with the laminate, there will be a gap between the bottom of the wardrobe frame and the new laminate floor. I understand that I could buy underlay thick enough to mean there will be no gap, though the laminate will run through onto the landing, so I wish to keep it the same level as the landing and of the current laminate floor in the next room (the landing is currently carpet and sits a touch lower than the bedroom floor).

Hence, the following questions:
1. Is there any way to fill the foreseen gap between the new floor and the wardrobe frame?
2. Could I essentially leave the old floor in under the frame? If so, what could be used so that the gap between the laminate and the old floor/wardrobe is not seen?
3. Any other ideas?

Hope someone out there is able to help. Thanks,

Donkey123.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Laminate Floor Height - How to Fill Gap?

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:25 pm

You canbuy a fillet piece to fill the gap

diydonkey123
Labourer
Labourer

by diydonkey123 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks, Welsh Brickie. What do you mean by a fillet piece? My initial thoughts are of steak or a fillet of salmon? Although my taste buds are tantalised by the prospect, that's gonna be one stinky room after a while.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 pm

By fillet I mean a quadrant bead , it can be wood coloured to match the flooring or white plastic if you prefer

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:30 am