New Light Fitting to Replace Old Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hepworth1978
Labourer
Labourer

New Light Fitting to Replace Old Ceiling Rose

by Hepworth1978 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Hello, hope someone might be able to help?

I am replacing an old pendant with a new light fitting but have found the ceiling rose connector to be a bit strange.

I have connected the new light fitting to all possible connectors (Live & Neutral respectively) and found that the light switch will not operate and the light is always on.

The old pendant had blade style connectors that were part of the ceiling rose cover, these inserted into the middle connector slots (see pic). I am assuming that these are the only connectors that are operated by the light switch or am I missing something?

Do I need to use a different ceiling rose or can I wire the new light fitting into this somehow?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_2708.png

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Light Fitting to Replace Old Ceiling Rose

by Mr White » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 pm

If the previous pendant light fitting was part of the ceiling rose, then why not just change the ceiling rose to a conventional ceiling rose. I would.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Skid Sprocket » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

It is difficult to see clearly on the photo but the 3 red wires on the right should be, live from previous light fitting, live to next light fitting and the third live to the switch. The black on the right should be the live return from switch (should be sleeved with short red sleeve). The two black on the left are from the previous and next light fitting.
The new light needs to be wired to the black on the right and the blacks on the left which should be the same as the blade connectors.

So the circuit goes live to the switch (on) back through the black on right through the light and out through black on left.

Its difficult to see which red returns to the black from the switch but it should be in the same cable.

Hepworth1978
Labourer
Labourer

by Hepworth1978 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Skid you were right! I wired it Live on the 1st right (black) and Neutral 1st left and it works perfectly.

Thank you :)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am