New Light for Lounge Ceiling - Advice needed on Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
apexstag
Labourer
Labourer

New Light for Lounge Ceiling - Advice needed on Wiring

by apexstag » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi All

Got a new light for our lounge.

First pic is the current ceiling light, has green yellow x1, black x2, red x2 wires coming out of ceiling, then the current light attaches with blue and brown wires.

Next pic is the new light, has a blue, brown and green/yellow wire going into a connector box, and the instructions say to insert corresponding wire into other side of connector box.

Does that mean insert the black wires from ceiling and the earth wire from ceiling into the corresponding side of the connector box on the new fitting? but then it would leave two red wires doing nothing? I thought red was the old live wires?

I think I should take the new wires, unconnected them from the connector box, and put the blue & brown wires in where the current light is in the ceiling, and then attached the yellow/green wire to the earth terminal in the ceiling (with the other earth wire still in)?

what do you think!?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Light for Lounge Ceiling - Advice needed on Wiring

by ericmark » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:34 pm

One black to brown other black to blue and earth green/yellow to other earth green/yellow. A separate connector is required to join the two reds together.

In theroy you should have a red sleeve on one of the black wires to show it is line not neutral it should in theroy be the one in the double connector on ceiling rose not the triple. But in practice it will not matter.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:37 am