New light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DevonSpeed
Apprentice
Apprentice

New light

by DevonSpeed » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi

Can someone let me know if,

a) How you test a live wire i have one of those screwdriver things that lights up so can you just put it against the live wire sleeve while electric is on?

b) I'm replacing the ceiling light , but the ceiling rose is very complicated so can you just undo the 2 wires neutral and live that are wired in from the light and just wire neutral and live from the new light so its like for like just replacing a different light?

Hope someone can help!

Thanx for all the great info and its good to know i can do like for like.

1 last question if i'm doing like for like do i need to earth the new light fitting or just leave the ceiling rose earthed?
Last edited by DevonSpeed on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

27col
Apprentice
Apprentice

by 27col » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm

1) Be very wary about using one of the cheap screwdriver type testers. In any event they will not work through the insulation of the cable.

2) If you are genuinely just replacing like for like then what you suggest will work. However do NOT rely on the tester. Make sure the lighting circuit is switched off at the mains. There is always live voltage available in the ceiling rose even when the room switch is off.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 pm

DANGER WARNING!!!!!!!!
Do not use neon screwdrivers to test for voltage you could kill yourself!
Any work carried out on electrical istallation sholud be done with that circuit isolated. Don't go poking around live cables with screwdrivers or anything else either!
DevonSpeed, isolate your circuit before you do any work, if the ceiling rose if still being used for new light fitting. Yes you just wire it up as before blue in neutral side and brown in to live side and earth to earth terminals unless it is a double insulated light fitting.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:40 pm

A) NO
B) YES

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:40 am