New Lighting Circuit in Kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
laid_back_climber
Labourer
Labourer

New Lighting Circuit in Kitchen

by laid_back_climber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:41 pm

[size=18][color=olive]Have an 6 year old house so wiring done to latest standards. I would like to add a third lighting circuit to the kitchen. The intention is to add 4 wall lights of 60W each.

I have very little experience so don't know what I am doing wrong. All help appreciated:?

There is an existing 2 gang wall switch which I have replaced with a 3 gang for the extra circuit.

After installation

Circuit 1 - Ceiling light on 2 way works fine as before.
Circuit 2 - Different ceiling light 1 way works fine as before
Circuit 3 - New one installed by me. 4 Wall lights with 1 way but not working!

Tried to take a live feed from one of the other circuits within the switch to power the 3rd circuit. I will try and attach a picture.

When I check with screwdriver tester it shows power on and off as I turn the switch on and off. But the lights do not work.

I have tried taking the live feed to L1, L2 & COM and connecting the circuit 3 wiring to the remaining two connections. Still no lights.

What am I doing wrong ?

Not sure whether I can take live feed from the other circuits within the switch so would welcome guidance.[/color][/size][img][/img]

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:36 pm

1) A 6 year old house will be wired to 16th Edition we are now on to 17th Edition so not to latest standards.
2) In a Kitchen any wiring changes will need registering with LABC under Part P.
3) Neon testers do not require neutral connections to work.
4) Neutrals are not normally taken to the switches.
Most likely you have completely missed wiring in neutrals but this is probable just as well.
Any new lights will need to comply with 17th Edition of wiring regulations which will mean inclusion of a RCD in most cases. Before starting since in a kitchen you need to notify LABC and pay fee under Part P and also detail what you intend to do. They may ask for method statements and risk assessments before starting and will require either a minor works or since likely an RCD will need adding a installation certificate which will require the earth and neutral loop impedances and unless you have original certificates you will most likely need earth loop impedance tested and insulation tester (500 volt) and a low ohm ohmmeter that uses at least 200ma plus if adding and RCD an RCD tester these meters cost about £750 and by time you add the Part P charges will cost more than calling in an electrician who is registered to do the work.
There is no report in your account of where you linked to neutrals so I assume this the problem.
All best Eric

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: New Lighting Circuit in Kitchen

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:45 pm

[quote="laid_back_climber"][size=18][color=olive]Have an 6 year old house so wiring done to latest standards. I would like to add a third lighting circuit to the kitchen. The intention is to add 4 wall lights of 60W each.

I have very little experience so don't know what I am doing wrong. All help appreciated:?

There is an existing 2 gang wall switch which I have replaced with a 3 gang for the extra circuit.

After installation

Circuit 1 - Ceiling light on 2 way works fine as before.
Circuit 2 - Different ceiling light 1 way works fine as before
Circuit 3 - New one installed by me. 4 Wall lights with 1 way but not working!

Tried to take a live feed from one of the other circuits within the switch to power the 3rd circuit. I will try and attach a picture.

When I check with screwdriver tester it shows power on and off as I turn the switch on and off. But the lights do not work.

I have tried taking the live feed to L1, L2 & COM and connecting the circuit 3 wiring to the remaining two connections. Still no lights.

What am I doing wrong ?

Not sure whether I can take live feed from the other circuits within the switch so would welcome guidance.[/color][/size][img][/img][/quote]

LAID-BACK-CLIMBER

I fully understand , you attempting to do this work
by yourself .
However u state u have little experience of this
type of work , and u don t understand where u r
going wrong.
Putting the fact aside that this is part p work , and
local authority building control need to know about it ,
i think u need to get in an electrician to help u.

BLAKEY1963

laid_back_climber
Labourer
Labourer

by laid_back_climber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Thanks for replies. I though it may be straight forward but obviously not !
Just a pity since I have got all the lights on the walls and wiring run back to the switch but fell at the last hurdle. I will get the electrician in. Thanks anyway.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 pm