new oil system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
housefromhell
Labourer
Labourer

new oil system

by housefromhell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:39 pm

I do not have any heating at present and we are not on mains gas. I have chosen oil. I have had one quote for £9000 is that the going rate? I am having 9 radiators,tank etc

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 pm

You are asking a lot for some one to make a judgement on the information you have supplied. Size & type of boiler (combi, system or regular) Internal boiler or external. Size of rads 300 x 400 x SC or 700 x 2000 x DC makes a huge differance. New hot water cylinder 36" X 18" indirect or a 300 Litre unvented? Oil tank capacity? single or double skin? above or below ground? Oil lifter?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

new oil system

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:16 pm

I would suggest a visit to one of the large DIY warehouses, there you will find all the things you need at very reasonable prices.
Couple that with some research on the net and you will quickly discover how much the hardware costs.
As a DIY project the fitting of central heating is easy, the tools required are not expensive. A carefully designed project using ball valves to split the project into weekend sized portions is doable.
I would suggest a saving that will make you very happy.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:35 am

I would suggest very strongly against fitting a oil fired system as a DIY project, you will not find oil fired equipment in any DIY shed for very obvious safety reasons. Every thing to do with oil is governed by Oftec from where to site a tank and the type of tank to where and whom can install a oil boiler. Get it wrong and you could be fined 10's of thousands of pounds by the environment agency and you will be responsible for payment of any clean up required if oil is spilt or leaked from your system. As CORGI is to gas Oftec is to oil but Oftec have more bite.

[b]Perry525[/b] as I assume you are not qualified as a heating engineer or as a building inspecter and therefor have no idea of the dire consequences of your advice I would ask on behalf of the users of this site that you do not offer advice that you clearly should not be giving. As for the tools of the profesion not being expensive a flue gas annaliser, an essential tool to commission a oil boiler, costs over £500 and needs calibrating every 6 months, that is for the basic unit. You also have to be a Part P registerd to carry out the electrical installation, thats the law!

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Just a foot note to this one, I read today of a court case where a heating engineer was fined £12500 plus £10000 costs because a oil installation he carried out leaked in to a small stream. This was a reduced fine as the county building inspector had passed the system as ok. Do not say you have not been told.

supposeso
Apprentice
Apprentice

by supposeso » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:39 pm

housefromhell Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 pm Post subject: new oil system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any heating at present and we are not on mains gas. I have chosen oil. I have had one quote for £9000 is that the going rate? I am having 9 radiators,tank etc

Hello I can't see how anyone could charge you 9grand for an oil system even allowing for some tricky work, I would not expect to pay more than 4K.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:04 am

Really supposeso, 4K for an oil system, explain this please.

Oil condensing system boiler 30/36kw with vertical flue :-£2K
Oil tank 2500 Litre double skin :-£1k
9 rads ave £50 per rad & trvs & l/s :- £0.5k
Pipework, fittings, oil line, controls, :- £1.5k
oil lifter, fire valve, & concreate base for tank
Unvented Cylinder 300litre megaflo :-£1.0k

grand total including vat, excluding labour £6K

So it might be a combi so same cost for boiler but no unvent cylinder, you might not need a oil lifter so take that out as well so take off £1.5K in total thats still £4.5k and no labour. This is a oil system not gas we are talking about, so no chance of a £4K installed cost.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:00 am

A year ago my cousin had her solid fuel/ back boiler system replaced with a new oil system, with no piping or rads. needed. The old fire was replaced with an open fire, for use during power-cuts, etc.
The all-in cost was £4500. Labour costs for plumbers in my area averages £25 +VaT/hour.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1