New socket after stud wall ‘media wall’
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rol1983
Labourer
Labourer

New socket after stud wall ‘media wall’

by Rol1983 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:48 pm

Hi, just looking for some advice. I’m planning to build a media tv wall with fire. Looking to have a socket spurred to behind where the tv will be positioned on the wall.
However i have been let down by my electrician this week and really need to start the project.
Will building the stud wall frame hinder the electrical work?
Thinking I could build the frame, await my electrician coming next week and then all that would be left is plaster-boarding.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New socket after stud wall ‘media wall’

by Mr White » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 pm

If you want to assemble and install the stud work first, I would suggest you cut a notch out from all the timbers as required, so you end up with a route from the TV to where the socket will be fed from. The notch should be 3cm x 1.5 cm minimum.
You may also want to consider the same for any other cables for your TV, such as Aerial, HDMI, USB, etc. Are you sure 1 socket will be enough? I am thinking if it is a Media Wall, what about satellite receiver, DVD player, Aerial amplifier, Sound bar, Back lights, Surround system.

Rol1983
Labourer
Labourer

by Rol1983 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:48 pm

Thanks Mr White.
My concern was the wiring from the original socket to where the new socket will be placed. I take it the stud wall wouldn’t get in way of that?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:44 am

Rol1983 wrote:My concern was the wiring from the original socket to where the new socket will be placed. I take it the stud wall wouldn’t get in way of that?

As I can not see it, how would I know? (Or anyone else on this forum.) I suggest you call your electrician since he has seen what you want to do, then you can ask him.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm