New Tank Overflow Pipe Doesn't Pass Building Regs?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

plumbers daughter
Labourer
Labourer

New Tank Overflow Pipe Doesn't Pass Building Regs?

by plumbers daughter » Fri May 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello,
Would really appreciate some help with this...
I've just had an unvented hot water cylinder replaced due to the expansion vessel packing up (3rd one in 6 years) and the tank was leaking at the bottom (and had been for quite some time by the looks of the floor). My overflow pipe is located directly at first floor level about 4 foot above the back door. My plumber says he needs to move this down to ground level in order for the new tank to pass building regulations and he won't be able to sign it off unless he does it. I thought the whole point of an overflow was that it was in a conspicuous place precisely so you would know immediately that you had a problem. If he moves this pipe to ground level, it could be dripping for months before we had a clue.
The only thing i can find online that backs up what he is saying relates to NHBC but this is not a new build and latest Building Regs Water Supply seems to date back to 1999 (predating the original overflow going in 2005 and passing regulations then).
Is he telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth or is that a rat I can smell?
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 pm