Newbie Garage insulation and flooring
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keith.bucknall
Apprentice
Apprentice

Newbie Garage insulation and flooring

by keith.bucknall » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 am

All,

I would like to ask for some guidance if possible. I know a number of posts have been talking about this over the last few years but would like some up-to-date advise.

In the next few months I will be replacing a roof on my garage (due to the asbestos roof) and doing a DIY conversion of it into a spilt workshop and utility room.

It is a single skinned semi detached building at the end of our garden, it is attached to my neighbour’s garage (who by the way is not the happiest neighbour, if you know what I mean!!).

I would like to know what other people have done with:

1) Walls, I have thought of timber or metal stud work that leaves a cavity gap between the single skinned wall. Bitumen paint the walls, insulation and thermal plasterboard / Plywood or OSB - thoughts....!

2) Floor - DPM or the bitumen paint again, with a small raised timber floor with insulation, what type of timber and sizes would be needed? Do I really need sleeper walls or can I just raise the floor with timber?

3) I will be keeping the garage door but just putting a partition behind it as this is only going to be a workshop that can be easily dismounted when we sell the house.

Some people have talked about membrane systems, paint etc to keep the moisture out of the room but I am unsure of which way to go.

Many Thanks,

Keith

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm

keith.bucknall,
Build yourself a timber frame box (smaller than the garage), line it inside with OSB, insulate the hollows in the framework, put it in the garage on timber bearers, leave ventilation gap all round.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:16 pm