no cold water in bathroom
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stef76
Labourer
Labourer

no cold water in bathroom

Post by stef76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:04 pm

hi there, as my toilet didn't flush anymore, i tried to fix it myself. i turned off the cold water in the bathroom. after turning it back on after about 20 min. there is no cold water coming from the sink or the bath. hot water works fine and cold water in the kitchen works fine as well.
i am on the first floor and mains connected no water tank. what could cause this and do i need a plumber as thames water suggested?
thanks for your help

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:03 pm

this is odd, one would not expect this to happen on a mains fed system. are you sure you are mains fed? if you live in a flat you may share a tank. if the pressure isn't great from that tank then you could easily have an airlock which would be the most logical answer.

just by process of elimination you could treat it as such - attach a hose to your kitchen cold and connect the other to the bath tap (open). open the basin tap as well as they are probably fed inline. slowly open the kitchen tap and see if water comes out the basin. you may hear gurgling noises. that might cure it.

don't be fooled by the fact that your cold water tap in the kitchen still works. this will certainly be mains fed (or certainly should be), legal requirement as it is your drinking water.

you wouldn't normally expect airlocks to occur on mains pressure. if you are definitely running all from the main then i suggest you get a plumber. there could be a blockage in a pipe perhaps. without seeing the site its really hard to say why this has happened.

one question, does your toilet now flush? if not then it could be that your stop valve that you used to isolated the bathroom has seized shut, even if it turned when you tried to open it. is it quite old and was it stiff when you closed it?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:31 pm