No Hot Water After Adding TRV's to Radiators Could it be Blocked Pipes?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

hillTop
Labourer
Labourer

No Hot Water After Adding TRV's to Radiators Could it be Blocked Pipes?

by hillTop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi all, newbie DIY-er here, I was adding some TRV valves to old radiators in my new/first home, and drained the system. Everything went ok, radiators working well once more.

However, after a day I noticed the hot water tank was cold, and the feed & return pipes also cold. It is a standard Indirect Hot Water Tank, feeding off an oil burner in a gravity system.

I initially thought about an airlock, but after following the pipes I can't see where this could happen. It looks like the pipes go straight down from the F+E tank. I also bleed all the rads. After this I read that you can undo the connections on the side of the tank, from the primary & secondary flow pipes. I did this, but no air came out. I didn't open them too far, fearing a flood. Only as far as the water coming out in a steady stream.

I also read that placing a strong magnet on the secondary flow pipe is an indication of metallic sludge in there. I did this and the magnet did stick. Does this point towards the drain down causing sludge to gather in the coils? And if so, is there a way to do a DIY flush on the coils with the tank in place? Is it simply a matter of getting a hose in there and letting her rip?

Thanks in advance, Dan.